I Can Haz Window

Wouldn't you know it... I try to post five days in a row and I fail on day two. To make up for it, I intend to do the unprecedented TWO posts in one day on A Thought and A Song. The one you're reading now is being furiously clickity-clacked over my lunch break. The second will come tonight before I head out to the always enjoyable UCDNB !party.

I tend not to write very much about my day job, just because I don't think it's a good habit to get into considering I need that job to put my roof over my head. Who knows how people interpret different things that get posted online. I'm just not even going to risk it.

However, I will write about one new development on the job. In the three years and one month I've been working for CITES, I have worked in five different offices, and today I'm moving into my sixth. However, instead of being bummed about being bounced around yet again, I am thrilled. Why you ask? Because I finally have a window that faces to the outside world!!! I've had an office with a window before, but the window looked out into a hallway (don't ask... it'd take a page to explain the building that I work in). Anyway, today I'm halfway moved into an office with an honest to goodness window. Here's a picture of the view:

Haha. I wish! The view basically looks out onto a street and some bike stands, but I really don't care. Having natural sunlight in my office is going to increase my day to day happiness about tenfold. I guarantee. Consider me a happy Mertz.

Now With Hooks!


Well if there is one promise I am going to be able to follow through on is the promise to post up more unreleased songs for you. This post I'm sharing something from the French group M83. Their new album Saturday = Youth is definitely a different direction from the uber good, but far more mellow and textured, Dead Cities, Red Seas & Lost Ghosts. There is far more of a pop feel to it, but pop as in songs getting stuck in your head, not pop like Lindsay Lohan or whatever schlock American Idol is peddling these days.

Saturday = Youth saw M83 enlist one of my favorite producers, Ewan Pearson. He has this psuedo-retro sound with his synths, but he knows how to make songs that get stuck in your head and you're happy to have them there. I listened to Saturday = Youth before realizing Pearson was involved. After learning that, the sonic similarities to his work on Tracey Thorn's Out of the Woods jumped out at me. And that is a good thing.

Anyway, I'm posting up one of the most hook laden, enjoyable tunes from the album. Clear some space in your head, because this song is going to get lodged there. You can thank me later for that. And you can thank M83 by pre-ordering Saturday = Youth, which is due out on April 15th.

M83 - Kim & Jessie

0 Comments

0 Responses to “I Can Haz Window”

Post a Comment



© 2006 A Thought and A Song | Blogger Templates by GeckoandFly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.