Small Town Ignorance

I usually don't use this blog to call out local people. I live in a town that is too small and too gossipy for me to say anything about anyone. But I heard some shit while setting up for my gig tonight and I feel the need to publicly call out someone I don't know. So if on the odd chance this person does read this posting, let me start by saying, "Fuck off. Don't come back to my bar."

Good. Now that I've got posted early, let me explain what happened. This woman, who looked in her late 30s/mid 40s, was sitting at a table at Boltini right near the DJ booth. She was talking to some of her friends, and it seemed like she was out of town because she started asking, "well where is the bar where gay people can go and comfortably hang out?" And one of her friends, who had obviously never heard of C Street, said "here." The woman then proceeds to freak out, saying how she hates bars that make a point to be outwardly friendly to gay people because "then the gays feel free to get on everyone in the bar."

Now the first thing I wanted to do was correct the whole table. Contrary to popular belief, Boltini isn't a "gay bar." Yes, we are friendly and welcoming to gays, lesbians, and even cross dressing Downtown Debbie. But we are also friendly and welcoming to douchebag townies in bright orange chief shirts, to young people (well at least 21s and up), old people, people on dates, people looking to dance, people that know nothing about music, and people that know everything about music. We have no dress code. We have no drink requirements. We never have a cover. We've hosted everything from jazz to fetish parties. I know heterosexual couples that met at Boltini and are getting married. Hell, I think even if Bin Laden walked into Boltini, we'd serve the guy.

In short, we're not a gay bar. We're a bar that is open to everyone.

But what really pisses me off is the insinuation that all gay people decide to prey on anything that moves. How fucking ignorant do you have to be to believe that? I have many people in my life that are homosexual, and yet I don't feel like they're trying to get on me. And in fact, if you ask most girls that go out to bars, especially Boltini, it is random guys trying to grope women, not random guys trying to grope the guys.

So bitch, if you're reading this, here's some knowledge for you: You are a small town hick, that knows nothing about the world at large. You have no culture. You have no style. Keep wearing that low cut shiny pink shirt, because in a few months I'm sure your tits will be sagging awfully and they'll match your old wrinkled face. By all means, come back to Boltini cause we don't turn people away. But if I hear you saying that shit again, I'm going off on you.

Fuck I'm pissed off right now. And I fucking hate that Champaign was all small town tonight. I want the fuck out of here.

Coming Together

If there is one thing that will calm me down, it is a good tune and Hercules and Love Affair are certainly purveyors of many good tunes. They're finally starting to get the respect they deserve, even getting an article in today's New York Times. Their first single, "Blind," was a killer, and I featured the b-side on my most Electric Undercurrents submission. They've also remixed one of my favorite songs from the 80s, which I will not name here because it is going to feature prominently in my new mix project (but even the most lazy of googler's could figure it out).

Anyway, if this disco revival really is for real, maybe there will be more tolerance for homosexuals, electronic music and people that enjoy being creative. Then again, this is America and I'm sure hicks will find a way to fuck that up too.

But in the meantime, there are songs like this one... It's H&LA's new single called "You Belong" and it will be out July 7. I'm just going to post the video for now, but when the remixes come out, I'll try to get one of those posted up here. Hope you enjoy it, because this song conjures up everything I loved about electronic music as a kid (I didn't know New Order was electronic music, I just knew I liked it). It's great to see this vibe making an extremely strong comeback:


0 Comments

0 Responses to “Small Town Ignorance”

Post a Comment



© 2006 A Thought and A Song | Blogger Templates by GeckoandFly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.