Jimpster

Last night I drove up to the "mighty" Chicago to hear Jimpster spin some tunes at Sonotheque. If you don't know Mr. Jamie Odell, he's the label owner of the best damn house label in the world, Freerange Records. He's also a world class producer and has turned out some of my favorite tracks and remixes recently. You can hear plenty of them on my latest mix, Squelch (mp3 file, right click to save). I had never seen him spin live, so I was quite excited. If nothing more, I knew he'd bring the heat in terms of new tunes. Ron Trent was also opening, so this should have been an insanely great night.

Now I don't know if it was because it was a Wendesday and the day after Halloween (which for many, was four days of Halloween parties), but the turnout in the Windy City was awful. Perhaps 30 people at most. I'm not going to go into a rant about Chicago as a whole, or start slagging on Sonotheque's lack of promotion for the event. It just unfortunately was not as good a night as it could have been. Jimpster looked a little bored. And even though some of his tunes were absolutely out of sight, it was obvious that more crowd energy really could have bumped his set up even more. Hopefully he'll end up at Grizzled or somewhere better next time he plays in Chicago.


Jimpster Part 2
I had posted the full version of Square Up (Jimpster's new tune on Buzzin Fly) on my Vox blog. But since that blogging software sucks, I can't get at it on this machine. So I am just going to post the track off of Ben Watt's supremely sublime Buzzin Fly Volume 3.

Jimpster - Square Up (Taken from Buzzin Fly Vol 3)

0 Comments

0 Responses to “Jimpster”

Post a Comment



© 2006 A Thought and A Song | Blogger Templates by GeckoandFly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.