Boy Genius

Since I've got a lot of music to write about, today's thought will be a short one. Basically, all I have to say is, that's my brother and I couldn't be prouder. In fact, it's all I've talked about to people the last few days.

Rhodes Scholar Wants to Make Science Approachable


Autumn Driving Mix
Today I am driving back to my parents' place to visit my brother, my parents, my parents' new dog, Teddy (pictured left), my friends and also to visit a much needed three days off. As wonderful as all this sounds, there still is a lot of driving in store for me.

Music is linked to nearly all of my memories. My strongest memories of fall in the Chicago suburbs when I was growing up all involve driving somewhere listening to the Smashing Pumpkins' Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness. The drive from my parents' house to my high school parking lot was the exact length of the song "Here Is No Why." After I graduated high school, I still would come back to visit for fall breaks and drive around late at night, blaring the Pumpkins nonstop, sometimes just driving to nowhere in particular just to be driving and rocking to the music that felt like the soundtrack to living in the angst generating northwest burbs.

Anyway, I give that preface to this mix to help better outline the overall mood of this mix. There are going to be moody songs, there are going to be rock out jams, there are going to be fragile and beautiful songs. I'll be rocking these over the Thanksgiving holiday and hopefully you will too:

The Smashing Pumpkins - Set The Ray To Jerry
Yes, I know that I have started many a mix with this song. But it is my second favorite Pumpkins song (behind Mayonaise), and I played this to death driving around the fall. I couldn't make this mix without it.

??? - ???
I'd love to post what this song is and write about it. Unfortunately, a mid-sized indie label that I used to respect recently went insane with legal threats to blogs posting tracks off this album. Let's just say this album isn't out yet, but you'll want this. Get to downloading before the RIAA hauls me off.

DJ Krush & Toshinori Kondo - Mu-Getsu
Quality, moody trip hop with a very muddy horn line that will fit perfectly on a cold grey day. It's tracks like this that make me download everything that I can get from DJ Krush.

Kid Koala - Scratchcratchratchatch Pt.1
This is more a selection for this year. I'll be rocking out to Kid Koala at the Abbey Pub on Thanksigiving Eve. This is part one of Koala's first mix tape. Appreciate the genius.

Sufjan Stevens - Chicago (Adult Contemporary Easy Listening Version)
Don't let the remix title scare you off. This is an amazing remix of an already amazing track. Sufjan has so much talent it makes me sick sometimes. I have aspirations of making a minimal/micro house remix of this song someday, but for now, this version will more than suffice.

Gary Jules - Mad World
One Thanksgiving break my grandfather passed away. One of the odd quirks was that the visitation on Thanksgiving day itself. Nothing was open, and so for dinner my dad and I had to go eat White Castle. A strange memory, but a vivid one. I don't think anything
that bad will happen. But should something go wrong this holiday, playing this song 900 times in a row should get me through.

Prax Paris - Under the Shower (with Colette vocals)
Ripped out of Colette's Our Day mix. I know this doesn't fit with the more morose cuts in this mix, but who cares. I'm going to see Superjane (Colette, Heather, Lady D, Dayhota) at Smartbar tonight. It's a Thanksgiving tradition. And while I don't expect Colette to bust this oldie out on Wednesday night, let's just say I'll be grinning for a month if she does.

Oasis - Half The World Away
"I would like to leave this city." That sentiment couldn't better sum up what I'm feeling for Champaign these days. Being away for three days should only intensify that. Good autumn song too.

Lephtee - So Far Back
Most likely I'll be rocking a lof of Ben Watt/Buzzin Fly mixes this mini-vacation. So while this post is semi-selfish (I wanted an mp3 copy of this track since I have been wearing out my vinyl at home), it also fits with those slowly unfolding fall days that seem to just blend into one another.

Radiohead - Climbing Up The Walls (Zero 7 Remix)
Another one of my mixtape fallbacks. But this is too good for late night driving to not have it on here.

Ben Folds - Silver Street (Live)
A no brainer for going home.

Shy FX - Plastic Soul
This mix needs another upbeat song. I was going to put "Twilight's Last Gleaming" by High Contrast up, but my copy of High Society has gone missing. Therefore, not only will I be shopping for a new copy, but I am also forced to put up Shy FX's very good "Plastic Soul."

Download the entire Autumn Driving Mix

0 Comments

0 Responses to “Boy Genius”

Post a Comment



© 2006 A Thought and A Song | Blogger Templates by GeckoandFly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.